Master's (MS/MBS) Programs: For some students, deciding whether to enter a clinical educational program or to commit to a lengthy Ph.D. program in biomedical sciences is often difficult and made with limited knowledge. Other students may be committed to a career in medicine or dentistry but have undergraduate academic records that are inadequate for acceptance into professional school. In addition, some careers in health related professions, including in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries, may require further training beyond the bachelor's level. To meet the educational needs of these groups of students, we have designed master's programs in biomedical sciences that have flexible curricula and build on the existing strengths of faculty in the Medical, Dental and Graduate Schools of UMDNJ. The degrees offered are a Master of Science in Biomedical Science (MS), which requires a research thesis, and a Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS), which is predominantly based on coursework. Both degrees include a 2-credit laboratory rotation. An important feature of these degree programs is the ability to complete the program in one year, or to follow a less intense curriculum over 3-4 semesters or even longer on a part-time basis. For students interested in medical or dental school admissions, there are specific Medical Scholars and Dental Scholars Programs that include specific advising and the possibility to take courses with the students of New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) or New Jersey Dental School (NJDS). The GSBS-Newark master's programs haves a successful historyof excellent graduation rates.
Advantages of the GSBS-Newark Master's Programs
• Thesis-based MS degree, or non-thesis MBS degree
• Ability to switch between MS and MBS
• Complete degree in one year, or follow a less intense 3-4 semester program
• Opportunity to take medical or dental school courses with students from NJMS or NJDS (limited enrollment)
• Medical Scholars program including specific interest curriculum, clinical advising, on campus MCAT course (additional fee), and interview with NJMS admissions
• Dental Scholars program including specific interest curriculum, Oral Biology Concentration, and NJDS admissions advising
• Tailored curriculum for other biomedical career interests, including pharmaceutical/biotech companies, doctoral research, etc.
• Personal academic advising of all master's students
• Choose from more than 50 graduate courses
• Courses taught by Medical, Dental and Graduate Faculty of UMDNJ, and by pharmaceutical company scientists
• Part-time enrollment available, with many evening courses in core subjects
• Can complete master's degree by transferring back up to 6 credits from subsequent medical or dental school enrollment (currently not supported by NJDS)
• Students obtain laboratory research experience with medical or dental school faculty
Joint MS/MBA Program dual degree program with Rutgers Business School geared towards educating students interested in management careers in pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or related industries.
Joint MBS/MPH Program dual degree program leading to a Master's in Biomedical Science from UMDNJ-GSBS and a Master of Public Health from UMDNJ-School of Public Health.
See also Certificate Programs, which can be also taken as an Academic Concentration by master's students